Our History, Our Heritage
Willamette Community Church is a group of ordinary people growing closer to God and helping others along the way.
It all started in May of 1867 when RC Hill moved to Albany to open the first doctor's office, the first school, and the first Baptist Church. Known then as Albany First Baptist Church, our first building was located at 2nd and Montgomery. When those facilities became inadequate to house the growing congregation, they purchased property at 5th and Lyons.
By 1964 FBC had continued to prosper and to grow. However, the facilities were no longer adequate; the church had run out of both ministry space and parking. That year the old Albany High School came up for sale and our people began to have a vision for a Christian school. Some of the church's leaders walked and prayed through the huge abandoned hallways here on 3rd Ave, and it seemed like such a long shot. But the church stepped out in faith and offered a bid of $59,916.67. Nine months later the church moved in, remodeled extensively, and started the first school year with the Pastor serving as Principal, two full time teachers, and 57 students.